Minutes September 2017

Wanstrow Parish Council Minutes Held on
11th September 2017

Present:      Michael Gay(Chairman) ,Geoff Andrews (Clerk),Joe Cole, Sam Ingram, Richard Pelham.

Public: Jane & Tom Ward-Jones.

  1. Chairman’s Announcements.  The chairman identified emergency exit and equipment.
  1. Public Access. Tom Ward-Jones outlined the plans for a rare breeds animal park on the present site of Symes’s coal merchants. He explained that coal was a declining business and there was a need to diversify. Eventually there would be a variety of animals, cows, chickens, pigs, sheep, etc. There would also be a café and shop, all of which would bring work into the village. Opening times would vary throughout the year. It is estimated that 20,000 people per year would visit the site and there would be 25 car park spaces, and coach, disabled parking, and cycle racks as well. He added that the entrance to the park from the A359 would be widened to make the approach much safer.

            Sam Ingram proposed acceptance of the park and this was seconded by Richard Pelham. The Council voted unanimously to recommend approval to MDC of the planning application.

  1. Apologies for absence. Claire Knight, Wayne McKeown and Roger Masters.
  2. Interests and Dispensations

4-1       Disclosures of Interests. None.

4-2       Dispensations. There were no requests for dispensation.

  1. Minutes

5-1       Minutes of the previous meeting. Accepted by the Council. Proposed by Richard Pelham and seconded by Sam Ingram.

5-2       Matters Arising. None.

6-         Planning

6-1       Application 2017/1916/FUL. Rare Breeds Farm, Beechwood, Burts Hill, Wanstrow. Application recommended by Council. See above for details. 

7-1       Finances

Payments; K.Gale for grass cutting and MDC Community Transport for bus.

7-2       Receipts: None

7-3       The reconciliation for August was passed by the Council. There is £33,311.96 in the bank.

8-         Highways (including R’s of W) and maintenance

8-1       Traffic Calming

             Action the Clerk. Ring Kerry Jones for information on the white line painting which is part of the traffic calming scheme.

              Action Joe Cole to arrange purchase of the SID camera.

             He advised the council that the camera would flash 30mph as vehicles passed it going faster than this. Michel Gay suggested that the council should advertise the installation of the camera.        

8-4        Maintenance.

             Action the Clerk. Contact Charlie Higgins about the road surface by Riverside Cottage.

  1. Village Hall and Recreation Field 

9-1   Village Hall Report.

 Michael Gay informed the council that the Harvest Show was a great success. Richard Pelham offered his congratulations to the organising committee. There will be a Harvest Shindig at the end of the month. Tickets at £10 per adult and £5 for children.

        Action the clerk. Contact Jody Osborne to inspect trees on the village green.

  1. Correspondence (not covered elsewhere on the agenda)

10.1      The Woodland Management plan for Wanstrow Wood had been received and circulated. Michael Gay informed the council that there had been further incursions into the wood and now fly-tipping was taking place. . Action Michael Michael Gay to write letter to be sent to Sholto Mojer to inform him of this.

  1. Other Business

11.1   Xmas Tree update. Richard Pelham had contacted Talbot Farm and they would be happy to donate a tree. He would contact Paul Vincent to view trees to find a suitable one .Michael Gay has already introduced Paul Vincent to Curtis Bartlett, and they will liaise together about the possibility of placing a Christmas Tree on Hall grounds.

11-2 It was agreed to purchase £50 of Spring Bulbs. Action the clerk.

11-3 Grass Verges adjacent to Traffic Calming signs. Richard Pelham asked the council to consider rotovating and seeding the verges near to the signs so as to make them more visible and to increase their effectiveness. Action the clerk to contact Frome Council to ask for names of possible contractors for this work.

11-4 Community Funding Application letter. Amendments to original document were discussed. Applications to the council should contain a clear spending plan, should have permission of the venue where the event is planned and should be submitted to the council so there is time to consider it.

11-5 Car Park update. Nothing to report

11-6 Clerk Review is to be arranged. The clerk informed the council he would not be able to attend the meeting in October.

11-7 NHS Free medicals. Noted.

  1. Proposals for future business. Flooding plans for the village.

13-1 To elect chairman for the next meeting. was elected as chair for the next meeting.

  1. Date of next meeting.   The meeting closed at 9.05pm. The next meeting will be held on the 9th October 2017.

Signed Chairman

Dated:  9th October 2017.