Minutes March 2017

Minutes of the meeting held on Monday 13th March 2017

Present:      Michael Gay, Joe Cole(Chairman), Geoff Andrews (Clerk), Sam Ingram, Roger Masters, Wayne McKeown, Claire Knight, Dick Skidmore, Michael Parkinson, Bob Sargent.

  1. Chairman’s Announcements.  The chairman identified emergency exit and equipment.
  1. Public Access. Michael Parkinson informed the council that the AI spoil heap had not been reduced by any significant amount. He had registered a complaint with the council for the last three years and he was asking the council if they would attempt to do something about the situation. Joe Cole said he would be attending the next quarry liaison meeting which was fairly soon and that he would inform AI of the situation. He added that if nothing was done the council would approach SCC Planning/Enforcement to take some action. Mr Dick Skidmore, Mendip District Councillor agreed with the council but added there was an employment issue for large numbers of local people.

The council thanked Michael Parkinson for coming to the meeting. Action: Joe Cole to raise the complaint at the next quarry liaison meeting.

Bob Sargent spoke to the PC re flooding in the village. He identified possible reasons for the flooding and offered solutions to the problems. More detail will be published later. Joe Cole thanked Bob Sargent for a very informative talk.

  1. Apologies for absence. Richard Pelham again.
  2. Interests and Dispensations. None

4-1       Disclosures of Interests.  There were no disclosures of interest.

4-2       Dispensations. There were no requests for dispensation.

  1. Minutes

5-1       Minutes of the previous meeting. Accepted by the Council. Proposed by Sam Ingram and seconded by Joe Cole.

6-         Planning

6-1       Community Assets. This was deferred until Richard Pelham was present.

6-2       Aster Homes and garage rents. Dick Skidmore informed the council that local residents were no happy with the large rental increases for the garages especially as no repairs had been done on them recently. Joe Cole asked if the garages could become a community asset to which Mr Skidmore replied in the affirmative. Michael Gay told the council that not all the garages were used by local people and this was because they are let separately to the houses. Action Michael Gay to write to David Wharburton MP to ask his assistance with this problem.

6-3       Flooding in the village dealt with in public access.

6-4       Motion to exclude members of the public from item 6-5 was accepted by the council.

6-5       Leighton Business Park. Item not minuted due to confidentiality.     

7-1       Finances

Payments; Payment was made to Mendip Community Transport for £62.24 for community bus.

7-2       Receipts: There were no receipts

7-3       The reconciliation for February was accepted. The balance per bank was noted at £28,649.16

8-         Highways (including R’s of W) and maintenance

8-1       A359. Action the clerk. Ring Kerry Jones at SSC Highways to enquire date of commencement for A359 traffic calming.

8-2       The purchase of a SID camera was discussed and the council agreed to purchase a SID camera.it was also agreed to keep the speed camera in case another sped watch group is formed.

8-3       Maintenance. Action the clerk to contact Charlie Higgins about the flood which occurs on the bend adjacent to the Cloford turning on the A359.

  1. Village Hall and Recreation Field 

9-1   Village Hall Report.

        Michael Gay told the council there was nothing of importance to report about the hall. He added that repairs were in hand on the adult fitness equipment.       

  1. Correspondence (not covered elsewhere on the agenda)

10-1     Letter from Traffic Regulator re Trinidad works was noted.             

  1.   Other Business

11.1      Litter Pick. The date was set for the 26th March at 10.00pm at the hall. Richard Pelham to coordinate. The Parish council agreed £50 to  fund this event.       

11-2      Community Fund. Michael Gay suggested that the Parish Council identified some areas where community money might be spent. He gave some examples; a car park for the village hall; flood defences for the village; the playing field. Action Michael Gay: to write a position paper outlining the plans to investigate various areas for adoption. The paper will explain why the council are not spending all the community reserves while they investigate and develop the plans.

11-3         Defibrillator training would be combined with the APM.             

11-4         Community Bus. Michael Gay told the council that February had been a poor month for use of the bus which was possibly due to bad weather.       

11-5         Broadband. Not a great deal of development. Voneus were still in the village and had spoken to the church re use of the tower. Sam Ingram asked if anyone knew when the next announcement on fibre would be heard. Action Michael Gay to write to CDS.

11-6         Chair Rota. Agreed.               

11-7         APM. It was agreed to have the APM on May 11th. Details to be arranged at the next meeting in April. Action Richard Pelham to contact Jonathan Cheale re talk at APM. Jo Cole to contact Defib. Trainers.

11-8         Eddie Stobart. No reply to letter from PC.

11-9         PACT. The police want to hold a liaison meeting in the village hall. It was agreed to pay for the hall for this meeting. It was suggested that the PC came to the meeting to question the police over their inaction within the village. Action Joe Cole to contact Linda Stephens re the booking of the hall.

  1. Proposals for future business.

13-1         To elect chairman for the next meeting. Wayne Mckeown was elected to be chair at the next meeting.

13.2.                Date of next meeting.   The meeting closed at 9.45pm. The next meeting will be held on the 10th April 2017.

Signed Chairman

Dated:  10th April 2017