Minutes February 2017

Minutes of the meeting held on Monday 13th February 2017

Present:      Michael Gay, Joe Cole(Chairman), Geoff Andrews (Clerk), Sam Ingram, Roger Masters, Terry Candy, Paul Candy and Jim Gillbody.

  1. Chairman’s Announcements.  The chairman identified emergency exit and equipment.
  1. Public Access. Terry Candy informed the council that the Enforcement Officer had visited Ashtree House and he now had to evict the tenants of one of the mobile homes. The Chairman replied that the council thought the terms of the retrospective planning permission for the holiday lets had not been complied with and the council had the right to contact the enforcement officer. Mr Candy replied that no one from the council had spoken to him about the holiday lets and was surprised that everything had been done “by the book”. He added that the planning officer knew people were living in the mobile home but now they had to leave. The Chairman asked Mr Candy why he had not been to council meetings to discuss the matter long before it had got to this situation. Mr Candy replied that his son did try to attend a meeting in September but had been unable to find it. At this point the discussion ended.Mr. James Gillbody from MDC advised the council that he would provide the equipment to enable the council to organise a litter pick around the lanes of the village. He would require some notice of the dates. He added that MDC would clear the litter from the A359 from Wanstrow to Nunney. The clerk informed him that he had spoken to MDC litter on three occasions about this litter.
  1. Apologies for absence. Wayne McKeown, Richard Pelham and Claire Knight.
  2. Interests and Dispensations

4-1       Disclosures of Interests.  There were no disclosures of interest.

4-2       Dispensations. There were no requests for dispensation.

  1. Minutes

5-1       Minutes of the previous meeting:  In item 6.1, the word “PLANNING OFFICER” was changed to “ENFORCEMENT OFFICER”. It was then agreed that the Minutes of the previous meeting represented an accurate record.  Proposed by Michael Gay and seconded by Sam Ingram. The Chairman signed the minutes.

5-2       Matters arising. Michael Gay informed the council that he was still trying to contact Eddie Stobart about the occupation of the Trinidad Works and he hoped to organise a meeting with Stobart, local residents and the Parish Council.

6-         Planning

6-1       Application 2016/2881/APP. Lilac Cottage. Approval of change of materials was noted.

6-2       Torr works spoil heap was discussed. Action Joe Cole to ask about the situation with the spoil heap at the next Quarry Liaison meeting.

6-3       A large amount of hedgerow had been removed to reveal a derelict house near the Holwell Quarry. Joe Cole had visited the site and spoken to the owner Mr. Chubb. The latter was hoping to renovate the house. He was going to apply for planning permission but was aware of the difficult access to the site. Mr Skidmore was aware of the development of this site.             

7-1       Finances

Payments; Payment was made to the clerk, HMRC, Mendip Community Transport and Readagriservices.

7-2       Receipts: Cloford Solar Farm £4,999.28 for community fund.

7-3       The reconciliation for January was accepted. The balance per bank was noted at £29,447.96.

7-4      

8-         Highways (including R’s of W) and maintenance

8-1       A359. Action the clerk. Ring Kerry Jones at SSC Highways to enquire date of commencement for A359 traffic calming and to inform her that the village had had two road traffic accidents in the past ten days.

8-2       The purchase of a SID camera was discussed. Locations of the camera were important and had to be changed quite frequently. Action Joe Cole to find more information on SID cameras for next meeting.              

8-4        Maintenance. No issues reported.

  1. Village Hall and Recreation Field 

9-1   Village Hall Report.

        Michael Gay reported that a new sewing club had been formed and would meet in the village hall on Thursday afternoons. He added that the Potato Lunch had been well attended and would be held again later in the year.

  1. Correspondence (not covered elsewhere on the agenda)

10-1     Ashtree House had already been discussed.

10-2     Email from Rasullah Awen had been noted.

10-3     Chovel lane. Large amounts of mud had been reported on this road. Action the clerk to contact Charlie Higgins to ask for it to be cleaned.

  1. Other Business

11.1      Meeting with farmers was deferred to another meeting.

11-2      Chairmanship rota. Action the clerk to organise a rota for twelve months.  

11-3     Elderly residents. Action Sam Ingram.

11-4     Flooding in the village. The Government website showing flood risk areas in the village could be used as a starting point for approaching people to point out the possibility of flooding in the village. Action Michael Gay to approach Bob Sargent to assist with some proposals for flood alleviation in the village. It was suggested that the Parish Council might purchase some land adjacent to the stream for water storage at times of flood threat.                                 

11-5 Litter pick date was to be decided. It was suggested that it would be a community event with breakfast provided for all the volunteers who helped.        

11-6 Action the clerk to contact James Hood of Bruton Town Council, to express interest in a meeting with other councils along the A359. The aim of the meeting was to discuss traffic matters along the A359 with other PCs. The parish Council agreed to go along with any meeting that Bruton arranges.

11-7 Community Spending. It was agreed to purchase a SID camera subject to cost and SCC agreement. Flood prevention and land for a larger village hall car park was also discussed.

11-8 Broadband. At the moment, there was no commitment by any provider to get a viable scheme into the village. Joe Cole added that Gigaclear would not come into the village if there was already another commercial provider in the village. He thought that anew voucher scheme might happen from CDS. Michael Gay added that by the end of March we might know if Wanstrow was in phase 2 for fibre into the village. And other possibilities might occur.

11-9 Litter. Dealt with above.

11-10 Footpaths at Beansland. Action the clerk to speak to owner as footpaths in the area have been blocked by horse fences. It was agreed to invite Mr. Jonathan Cheal to speak at the APM. Date of which to be set at the next meeting.

11-11 Community Bus. Michael Gay asked the council to continue funding the community bus from February to June. He was investigating the possibility of funding from various sources such as the Small Lottery Fund and Somerset Community Fund. And he reported that MCT had themselves reduced the weekly cost of the bus to the councils. He informed the council that the maximum risk was £450 per council but the more likely risk was £218 per council, although this did need Frome to agree with these figures. The motion was proposed and seconded by Sam Ingram and Roger Masters respectively. The whole council agreed.

  1. Proposals for future business. Community spending, Elderly in the village, Flooding.

13-1 To elect chairman for the next meeting. Joe Cole was elected to be chair at the next meeting.

  1. Date of next meeting.   The meeting closed at 9.45pm. The next meeting will be held on the 13th March 2017.

Signed Chairman

Dated:  13th March 2017