Minutes December 2016

Minutes of the meeting held on Monday 12th December 2016

Present:      Michael Gay, Joe Cole, Geoff Andrews (Clerk), Claire Knight(Chairman), Richard Pelham, Wayne McKeown, Sam Ingram.

  1. Chairman’s Announcements.  The chairman identified emergency exit and equipment.
  1. Public Access: None.
  1. Apologies for absence. Roger Masters
  2. Interests and Dispensations

4-1 Disclosures of Interests.  There were no disclosures of interest.

4-2 Dispensations. There were no requests for dispensation.

  1. Minutes

5-1       Minutes of the previous meeting:  It was agreed that the Minutes of the previous meeting represented an accurate record.  Proposed by Joe Cole and seconded by Sam Ingram. The Chairman signed the minutes.

5-2       Matters arising

            There were no matters arising.

6-         Planning

6-1       2016/2228/ADV Installation of new signage at Leighton Business Park. Acceptance was proposed by Joe Cole and seconded by Sam Ingram. The Council all agreed. It was noted that the application took three months to arrive to the parish Council.

7-1       Finances

Payments; payments were made to: Claire Knight for Children’s Xmas Party; Ann Andrews for funding for Senior’s Xmas Party; Mendip Community Transport for the Wanstrow Bus and to Kevin Gale for grass cutting.

7-2       Receipts: None.

7-3       November bank reconciliation was discussed and approved. The Chairman signed the reconciliation. The council also agreed to minute the balance per bank, which stands at £24,917.71.

8-         Highways (including R’s of W) and maintenance

8-1       A359. No update on traffic Calming.

The plans for traffic calming were displayed at the Craft Fair. Comments from the villagers ranged from “more signs” to “what would actually slow down the traffic.” The villagers seem disappointed at the proposed schemes. Michael Gay asked if there was to be any visual narrowing of the road. Discussion ensued and Wayne Mckeown expressed the opinion that Wanstrow was suffering from the failure of other schemes in Stoke St Michael and Norton St Phillip. It seemed that SCC Highways were doing as little as possible. Joe Cole expressed concern over the introduction of Phase 2 if Phase 1 was a failure.

Action. The Clerk to ask Kerry Jones about the visual narrowing of the roads in Phase 1.                        

8-4   Maintenance.

Richard Pelham told the council that Studley Lane had been repaired.

  1. Village Hall and Recreation Field 

9-1   Village Hall Report.

Michael Gay told the council that The Xmas Racing and Lectures had been a success. There was little else to report.

  1. Correspondence (not covered elsewhere on the agenda)

10-1     Letter for Postlebury PCC was noted.

  1. Other Business

11.1 A meeting with local farmers would be discussed at a later date and also mentioned in 11.4 below.

11-2 The Flower Show was going to be started again. A meeting had been called by Curtis Bartlett and a small committee had been formed of villagers with Pete Dawes acting in an advisory role. The Paris Council might be able to assist with funding. This would be discussed at later meetings.

11-3 Elderly Residents. This was discussed and it was decided to try and get advice on how to proceed. Action Sam Ingram to contact Age UK and Claire Knight to contact Somerset Gateway.

11-4 Flooding in the village. Michael Gay had walked around the village on the very wet Monday in early November. Some homes had been flooded on Station Rd. and there had been very high water on the corner by Tower View. Action the Clerk to contact Charlie Higgins re drains at tower View. Michael Gay expressed the opinion that flooding might get worse and the purchase of sand bags might be worth considering. He also thought it might be worth asking Bob Sargent to look at the problem of flooding. Discussion ensued and it was suggested that the local farmers might have some ideas on the flooding. Joe Cole suggested there might be ways of stopping the water entering the streams higher up in the catchment area of the streams. Action the Clerk to contact SCC Hydrologist re flooding in the village.

 11-5 The Pub at Wanstrow. Noted.

11-6 A report on the trees in the park had been circulated. Action the Clerk to thank Jody Osborne for this and inform him that the Parish Council would like to wait until the trees were in full foliage and the review the situation.

11-7 Community Spending. Mikey Gay enquired if the Parish Council could invest in Distgen. Richard Pelham suggested that other ideas for spending may occur. It was added that the village hall committee will be asking for money for upkeep of the park equipment or possibly the purchase of some new equipment. Joe Cole suggested and the Council agreed that five shovels should be bought for the grit bins. Action the clerk. Wayne McKeown added that the Parish Council set up a disaster fund for future floods.

11-8 Broadband update. CDS December 12th CDS should be reporting on phase two of putting fibre optics into villages. Joe Coe informed the Council that forty-six people had signed up to the Wanstrow scheme, some with vouchers and some not. He added that Truespeed would not meet the deadline date for voucher use. So, at the moment the only option seemed to be Voenius. Joe Cole informed the Council that Openreach may put fibre from the exchange to the Church and Voenius would distribute broadband from there. Openeach would be responsible for fibre maintenance. He concluded by informing the Council that those without vouchers would have to pay £350 for their connection to the new broadband provider.

11-9 Community Bus. Michael Gay informed the Council that all the parishes had agreed to extend the community bus scheme until February. He outlined his proposal for a 50% discount card for all Wanstrow parishioners. He had designed an advertisement for the Postlebury Magazine. Action the Clerk to forward this to the Postlebury Magazine for January’s issue. The cards would be advertised on social media, at events, and by a leaflet drop. The leaflet would explain that people would have to apply to a councillor for the discount card.

  1. Proposals for future business.

Ashtree House Planning. The Precept. Flooding. Elderly people.

None noted.

13-1 To elect chairman for the next meeting. Claire Knight was elected chairman for the next meeting.

  1. Date of next meeting.   The meeting closed at 9.15pm The next meeting would be at 7.45pm on the 9th January 2017.

Dated:  9th January 2017