Minutes August 2017

Wanstrow Parish Council Minutes Held on
Monday 14th August 2017

Present:      Michael Gay, (Chairman), Joe Cole, Geoff Andrews (Clerk), Richard Pelham. Paul Vincent and Karen Bold also attended as members of the public.

  1. Chairman’s Announcements.  The chairman identified emergency exit and equipment.
  1. Public Access. Karen Bold asked the council for community funding for a family fun day in the village hall on the 16th September. She wished to hire a band called Rocktapus for the afternoon. The village hall committee had not been asked as yet. Discussion ensued and Richard Pelham proposed that a loan of £500 be made to the event. Of this £200 would be a grant towards the cost of the event. The repayment element of the grant would come from the sale of tickets. The grant would come with the condition that local parishioners would have preference in the purchase of tickets. Finally the Wanstrow Village Hall committee would have to agree with the proposals. This was proposed by Richard Pelham, seconded by Joe Cole and passed by the council.

Paul Vincent came to the meeting to discuss the idea of a village Xmas Tree. Discussion ensued about the location of the tree and size. It was decided to discuss this with the village hall. The Parish Council would fund the exercise from Community funds. Richard Pelham said he would go to Talbot Farm to enquire if they had a tree to sell. It was also suggested that Paul Vincent should talk to the village hall.

  1. Apologies for absence. Wayne McKeown, Sam Ingram, Roger Masters, Claire Knight.
  2. Interests and Dispensations

4-1       Disclosures of Interests. Joe Cole expressed interest in item 11-2

4-2       Dispensations. There were no requests for dispensation.

  1. Minutes

5-1       Minutes of the previous meeting. Accepted by the Council. Proposed by Richard Pelham and seconded by Joe Cole.

5-2       Matters Arising. There were no matters arising.

6-         Planning

6-1       Application no.207/1228HSE Ivy Cottages Cloford. Approved and noted by council.

6-2       Application no. 207/1152/FUL Bear Inn. Approved and noted by council.

7-1       Finances

Payments; Payment was made to the clerk, HMRC, Mendip Community Transport, K.Gale, Wanstrow Village Hall Flower Show and SID training. It was agreed by council that 50% of SID training fees would be reimbursed by SCC Highways. Action the clerk.

7-2       Receipts: None.

7-3       The reconciliation for July was accepted. The balance per bank was noted at £34,977.82. The Parish Council also looked at the expenditure for the month of July.

7-4      

8-         Highways (including R’s of W) and maintenance

8-1       No more developments on A359(traffic calming).      

8-2       The white lines etc. still to be completed. The verges by the new signs had partially obscured the signs. Clerk to contact SCC.

8-3       Joe Cole asked if anyone knew where the milestone, adjacent to Chancellors, had gone. Action the clerk to ring Tim Walwin.           

8-4        Maintenance. No issues reported.

  1. Village Hall and Recreation Field 

9-1   Village Hall Report.

        Michael Gay informed the parish council that in September there would be The Flower Show on the 10th and on the 30th, there would be a Harvest Shindig with food and music. Details of all these events were posted around the village.

  1. Correspondence (not covered elsewhere on the agenda)

10-1     Action the clerk. To contact MDC planning to ask for an extension for consideration of plans for the Symes application for a rare bread centre.

10-2     Action the clerk. To ask Fountains Forestry for a copy of their plans for development of Wanstrow Woods. It was also noted that a letter had been sent to Sholto Moger re vandalism in Wanstrow Woods.

10-3     Community Health survey was noted.

  1. Other Business

11.1      Xmas tree. See public access above.        

11-2      NHS Health checks 21st September was noted.             

11-3      Defib. Training Officer attended Active Living.   

11-4      Community spending. Action. Joe Cole to ask in village for space for car parking for village hall events. The same to     be an agenda item in September.

11-5     Enforcement Officer Letter. Noted.

11-6     Community Bus. Michael Gay informed the council that the bus was well used by Wanstrow villagers. He asked the council to agree an extension to the bus service until May 2018. This would be at a potential risk of £900, but more likely an actual risk of only £567. This was proposed by Rischard Pelham and seconded by Joe Cole. The council voted to accept the proposal.

11-7     Car Park for village hall events would be discussed at the next meeting.

11-8      Milton Energy. It was noted that a grant of £2000 would be received in September.

11-9     Bulbs. Deferred until next meeting.

11-10   Yarn and Darn. It was agreed by council to allocate a community grant of £350 to Yarn and Darn. It was suggested that if the group continues to meet they might be allocated a further grant. If at any time the group folds then all the equipment purchased would be the property of the parish council.

  1. Proposals for future business. Parish Council to look at wording of Community Fund application letter.

13-1 To elect chairman for the next meeting. Michael Gay was elected to be chair at the next meeting.

  1. Date of next meeting.   The meeting closed at 9.25pm. The next meeting will be held on the 11th September 2017.

Signed  Chairman

Dated:  11th September 2017